Cowra/Grenfell Meals on Wheels Food Service Incorporated (CGMOW) is an existing Commonwealth CHSP service provider covering both Cowra and Weddin Shires and has been providing affordable meals and social connection to communities since 1959 in Cowra and 1962 in Grenfell. The service area of CGMOW is approximately 6500 sq. km, one of the biggest in the state, with some townships being considered remote. Cowra Grenfell Meals on Wheels currently provides approximately 42,000 meals (hot, frozen and luncheons) per year, ensuring that our vulnerable and isolated clients have nutrition, independence in the home and social interaction within the community. Cowra Grenfell Meals on Wheels is well-known within the community through continued social marketing strategies and regularly interacts with the community through face to face contact, local media and community events such as the Corporate Volunteer Program.
CGMOW is governed by skilled, experienced and dedicated Board of Management (BOM), Service Manager and Staff, which includes 240 existing trained and experienced Volunteers. The BOM meet regularly to ensure that the service is operating effectively in line with identified priorities within the current CGMOW Service Plan and in line with the Commonwealth Home Care Standards and the Department of Health Agreement.
The strong governance and reporting systems that CGMOW has in place ensures that the organisation continues to meet key measures and reporting requirements of the Commonwealth, as outlined within the Commonwealth Funding Agreement and Commonwealth Home Care Standards. Annually, CGMOW fiscal process is audited by Steel Walsh and Murphy Accountants (CPA) and reported to the Commonwealth accordingly.
Cowra Meals on Wheels History
A little history about the service and how it began. Meals on Wheels has been operating in Cowra since 1959 and is one of the longest, most recognized services in the area. In 1959, a few citizens, who were determined to provide assistance to the ageing citizens of Cowra came together. It was realised that early care given to folks at home was preferred, then giving care in institutions. A meeting was called to form the Cowra and Districts Old Peoples Welfare Committee, this meeting was held on July 20th 1959 in the Methodist Church Hall. The Cowra Hospital Board gave permission for the kitchen to supply meals on a regular basis. The first meal was delivered on 10th May 1960 and the service soon grew, with 38 meals a week delivered.
Meals were served from hot metal containers in the boot of vehicle onto plates and when all the clients were served the volunteers returned to the hospital to do the washing up. Meals were serviced in confoil containers in 1983, making this much easier. Volunteers serviced out the meals at the hospital and the delivery volunteers delivered them out to clients. During this time the service was run by volunteers who did a wonderful job, over the years the MOW received subsidized funding.
In 1994 Cowra MOW amalgamated with Grenfell MOW to receive recurrent funding and to employ a co ordinator. This funding was provided through the Home and Community Care program which is funded by The Ageing and Disability Department. The service was named Cowra/Grenfell Meals on Wheels Food Service Incorporated. The service is funded by the Department of Health, through the Commonwealth Home Support Program.
Grenfell Meals on Wheels History
The Meals on Wheels Service has been operating in Grenfell since 1962 and is one of the longest, most recognized service in the area. In 1962, a few people who were determined to provide assistance to the ageing citizens of Grenfell, came together. It was realised that early care given to folks at home was preferred too, then giving care in institutions. In 1962 The Grenfell and District senior Citizens Welfare Committee was formed. It was decided to organise a hot meal for the elderly. The venue was the kitchen area in the Odd Fellows Hall in George Street.
A number of volunteers met and purchased meat and vegetables. These were prepared, cooked and served to a number of people who turned up to enjoy them. Some meals were delivered to a few men who really lived in appalling conditions beyond the showground. Eventually a representive went to the hospital board to ask if meals could be purchased through the hospital kitchen. They agreed to supply six meals per day on a trial for three months. These meals were put in a foil lined pudding steamer and bedded in a box lined with straw. Eventually the hospital board agreed to increase the numbers to twenty per day (the cost was 40 cents for a three course meal, plus a piece of fruit).
The committee had by this time purchased two hot boxes, heated by pellets. Aluminium lined containers were used in these boxes for the main meals, a smaller basin for sweets and in the winter plastic jars for soups. These had to be washed up by the person delivering the meals and then returned to the hospital. During this time the service was run by volunteers who did a wonderful job, over the years the MOW received subsidised funding.
In 1994 Grenfell MOW amalgamated with Cowra MOW to receive recurrent funding and to employ a co ordinator. This funding was then provided through the Home and Community Care program, which was funded by The Ageing and Disability Department, a joint Commonwealth and the State government. The service was named Cowra/Grenfell Meals on Wheels Food Service Incorporated. The service is funded by the Department of Health, through the Commonwealth Home Support Program.